Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Were Getting Closer

I really like living in a small town but some times it really sucks. The Washington Secretary of State was lightning fast. We mailed our i-171h to be certified on Saturday, they received it Monday morning and sent it back out Monday afternoon. Unfortunately it took 2 days to get here even though I paid for overnight. I know, I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record. So of course since I work I wasn't home when they tried to deliver it today, so after work I went to the post office. The person working the route hadn't come in yet so they told me to come back later. I decided to drive toward home and see if I could catch her. I found her but she was done with the route and headed back to the post office so I followed her. There was a long line so by the time I got to the window she had unloaded her truck and I was able to get my document. Next I drove to a copy shop that has a FedEx outlet in it. We don't have an actual FedEx here. More small town woes. FedEx picks up at 3:00 here and it was after 4:00 so it wouldn't go out today. Living in a small town cost us 2 days (1 for the extra day to get the document and 1 because FedEx picks up before I get off work). The gentleman who worked at the copy shop was very helpful. He figured out it would save me money if I sent it to the Consulate via UPS 2nd day and then had it shipped back FedEx. I hope I don't have problems using UPS. I also found out that if you want to put in a prepaid return mailer it has to be sent to the copy shop not my residence. I don't know if that is a small town thing or standard, but of course my cover letter says to mail the documents to me in the prepaid mailer and then I give my address. Now of course it won't match but I can't imagine they will even look at the address.

But we are getting closer. This is the last step before our dossier is finished.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

You are lucky that every thing has gone pretty smoothly and quickly. We are waiting for our 171-H and it may take another month or month and a half or possibly longer. The sooner we get it the sooner we can get on our agency's waiting list. We probably won't be sending off our dossierr until sometime next year.